Off Highway Vehicle Information

2023-2024 Off Highway Vehicle Grant Information

Sheriff’s Office seeking comments on use of off-highway vehicle grant funds

MARIPOSA, Calif. – The Sheriff’s Office will be submitting an application for grant funds for off-highway vehicle recreation management on public lands. 

The California State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division is funding the planning efforts through an off-highway vehicle planning grant. The state program supports off-highway vehicle recreation in California by distributing more than $35 million annually collected from gas tax, entrance fees and off-highway vehicle sticker registrations. The program supports off-highway vehicle recreation in California by providing financial assistance to cities, counties, districts, federal agencies, state agencies, educational institutions, and federally recognized Native American Tribes and non-profit entities.  

The public is invited to provide feedback to the Sheriff’s Office that will help ensure the safety of recreators in the area, find safer solutions for shared trails, provide greater public access, and offer a more enjoyable experience. Anyone interested can review and comment on the preliminary applications from March 7th to May 1st by visiting the grants section at

“We continue to see an increase in the need to ensure the safety of our off-highway vehicle recreators,” said Sheriff Jeremy Briese. “We look forward to seeing suggestions from those who enjoy off-highway vehicle sports on public lands. This year we anticipate seeking funds to support law enforcement needs in all of Mariposa County not just in designated OHV areas.” 

Public comments or suggestions can be submitted by mail to the Sheriff’s Office at PO Box 276, Mariposa, CA 95338 attention Jenny Baker, or by email to Additionally, stakeholders can contact Baker at the above address to request a meeting to discuss off-highway vehicle improvement needs in Mariposa County. 

The agency works closely with stakeholders and communities in this effort.

View PDF of Press Release

This information release is a requirement of the OHV Grant Application process for 2022-2023. 

Laws for the OHV Operator

You must have one of the following when operating any type of Motorized off-highway vehicle on public land:

  • A green or red sticker issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • A non-resident OHV permit.
  • A street legal license plate for four-wheel drive vehicles and dual-sport motorcycles.
  • No OHV shall exceed 15 mph within 50 feet of any campground, concentration of people or animals.
  • All motorcycles must be equipped with a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester, and muffler. The OHV must also comply with the state's noise regulation. CVC 38370.
  • OHVs operated between sunset and sunrise must have at least one headlight that allows the operator to see for 200 feet and one red taillight visible for 200 feet.
  • Paved roads may be crossed at right angles to the direction of the highway.
  • It is illegal to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while riding or operating an off-highway vehicle.

For further information on a complete listing of OHV LAWS, see Division 16.5 of California Vehicle Code or visit the OHV web site: