Families Receiving Support

How can I receive my child support payments?

Families receiving child support payments have three options:

1. Direct Deposit:

  • Electronically, at California Department of Child Services - select "Receive Payments," then select "Enroll Now"
  • By calling 1-866-901-3212, then selecting option 1, option 3 and then option 1
  • By downloading and printing a paper application
  • By picking up a paper application in our office. Paper applications should be mailed to: CA State Disbursement Unit (SDU), PO Box 989064, West Sacramento CA 95798-9064.

2. Electronic Payment Card (EPC) – Similar to an ATM card. When a payment is received and processed, it is then applied to the EPC. You can sign up for the EPC using the same methods as signing up for Direct Deposit.

3. Standard bank check sent to your current mailing address.

Where is my child support payment?

Call 1-866-901-3212 for any questions that you may have regarding child support payments.

Also visit Customer Connect, this site allows you 24/7 access where you can update account information, view payment information, review case information, and verify court dates and appointments.

Custodial parties that have an open child support case with a local child support agency may contact the local office if they have questions regarding their payments.

Custodial parties who do NOT have an open child support case with a local child support agency may contact the Customer Connect call center at 1-866-901-3212.

I received my child support payment but it wasn't the full amount. Why?

There are many reasons you may not receive your full amount of child support. There may have been a change in the noncustodial parent’s wages due to changes in their work hours, unemployment, or a disability, or you may have been assessed the $35 Annual Service Fee.

In addition, if a noncustodial parent has more than one child support case, federal law requires the child support monies collected be shared among all the current child support cases. (CSS Letter: 06-24)

Modifying Your Support Order

As circumstances change, your support order might need to be modified (increased or decreased). Either parent may request a review of their child support order. If a change in the amount of support is appropriate, the Department of Child Support Services will request that the court modify the current child support order.

Common reasons to request a modification:

  • significant increase or decrease in either parent's earnings
  • a change in custody, or the amount of time the child spends with each parent
  • if either parent has another child to support

For more information or to request a review visit us in the office or call 1-866-901-3212.

What To Bring To Your Appointment With Child Support

When opening a child support case, you should gather and bring to any appointment as much information as possible. A case can still be opened without all of the information listed below, bit it will be easier to collect child support with complete information about each parent and child. The Department of Child Support Services will request the following:

Information about you:

  • Date of birth
  • Existing child support orders
  • Full name, address, and phone number
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or former employer
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Social Security Number

Information about the child:

  • Child's date of birth
  • Child's full name and address
  • Child's Social Security Number
  • Proof of paternity (if applicable)

Information about the other parent:

  • Date of birth
  • Description of other parent
  • Full name, address, and phone number
  • Information about involvement with child (visitation)
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or last employer, union or self-employment information
  • Social Security Number

Enforcement Methods

There are many enforcement methods that the child support organization can take to ensure that the child support obligation is being met. Some of these methods include Mandatory Wage Withholding, Health Insurance Coverage Assignment, Real Property Liens, Tax Intercepts, New Hire Registry, License Suspension, and a list of civil and criminal remedies. Find a full list of the different enforcement methods that can be taken (PDF)